Monday, August 18, 2008

Afraid of Being "Ordinary"

After writing that subject line I already want to dismiss the whole idea. What is ordinary and who has the right to define it? Barack Obama said in a Marie Claire article that his wife, Michelle is quintessentially "American" because she grew up with two working parents, loves the Dick Van Dyke Show and shops at Target. I will admit I meet two of those qualifications, but really?! Seriously, how can you define "American"? It's like describing "ordinary". So many things have been warped and rearranged that definitions are hard to make. Anyway, I fear that my life is ordinary. That my 9-5 is boring, uninspiring and pointless. I'm so worn down from "ordinary" life that I don't have the energy or motivation to be extraordinary. So if being ordinary is so damn draining; is it really ordinary? I have to remind myself of these things everytime I catch myself defining my life according to what I "think" other people's standards are. I realize that if I am following what I believe to by right and worthwhile, then I am happy. I might be stressed too, but I believe I am doing what I have to do for the time being. Maybe I will always be "ordinary" but at least I will believe in myself and be happy. Living up to my own standards is difficult enough without having to worry about other people. This is what has been on my mind this morning.

1 comments:

Mary said...

She blogs again!

Don't live your life by other people's standards-do what you want to do and be happy. That said, sometimes we have to do what we don't want (like the 9-5 job) in order to get to the point where we can do what we want. And cut yourself some slack! It's important to have some standards, but don't set unrealistic ones that just aren't feasible. You'll only depress yourself!

When you get really down, just remember that there are 4 of us who really love you for who you are in Hot Ass Georgia!