Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Frugal or Green?

Or both! I'm realizing that my mother's old frugal ways are today's eco-friendly habits. I used to think my mom was weird for reusing zip loc bags, but now I find myself doing the same thing to cut down on waste. Also like keeping rags handing for cleaning. Luckily, these habits save money too! So lately I find myself thinking of ways my mother used to cut corners and reuse things for a different use. My mother also kept plastic butter containers to store left overs. Though I hated peeking inside butter containers in fear of finding moldy food (yeah...my mom worked full time) and it takes Bryan and I over a month to use up an entire butter container, maybe I'll start keeping an eye out for useful, reusable containers.

I also find myself gravitating to green wedding blogs, too. Now that our wedding is becoming more and more simplified due to funding I am going to enjoy finding ways I can add hand-made detail to our wedding. I haven't really been very artistic in the past, but I also haven't really had ways to apply my limited artistic talent. So I'm hoping it shines for our wedding.

For the time being I'll be focused on different design....for our new apartment! We will pretty much know in about a week whether or not we're moving in July. We reserved a 2 bdrm right down the street from us yesterday. It's very white and boring so now I'll be on the hunt for affordable and hopefully green ways we can decorate our apartment. Paint will definitely be needed. I'm excited to have a short term tangible goal to focus on, I've needed that for some time.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yay for the new apartment! I know you are excited about that!

My mom reuses ziplocs too and it grosses me out! But you are right: lots of time being green & frugal go hand in hand. Let me know if you find any really cool green blogs that I should check out!

Leila said...

June.... BLOG MORE.