Monday, April 6, 2009

We Spend How Much?!

Today's weather in Baltimore is so fitting. The weekend was beautiful and sunny and today, Monday is rainy and dark. Today is also opening day at Camden Yards for the Orioles. I specifically remember that it was raining last year on opening day because I had just started my new job and my brother called me and was down the street hanging out for opening day. So I walked a few blocks in the mist and heels to hang out for a few minutes during my lunch. Not much has changed since then, but whatever.

In March, B-ry and I started using a rewards credit card as a debit card. We had been planning on trying this for a few months but the card always had a balance from work travel I had. It was finally all paid off and March was the first month we tried this new experiment. I figured we'd use it for everything non-bill related because it carried rewards for spending unlike our debit cards and so we could more easily track how much we're spending on non-essentials. Wow. We spent a lot. Somehow we still had enough to pay it all at the end of the month. Basically, we spend a lot more than I thought. I think we ate out a little more than we usually do and shopped a bit more, but still. I'm curious to see how this month goes. We're starting to obtain our camping supplies for summer adventures, so I bet it'll look about the same. I'm thinking there are "necessities" like this every month. As long as we have enough to pay it off each month, I don't really worry about it. I think we stress ourselves out too much already to try and curb our spending any more than we do. Though now with wedding planning, we'll probably start putting a little more in savings than usual. Overall though I believe we're keeping our heads straight "in this economy". The job search continues and we'll just keep plugging away.

0 comments: