Monday, April 13, 2009

Snippet and Ink

Here is one of the wedding blogs I've started to follow and drool over:

They recommend all kinds of different vendors, give color inspiration, and all kinds of other goodies.

Thanks to some encouragement I have decided to continue to pursue getting into the Navy. I know I want to go back to school for something and having the chance for the Navy to pay for it is really appealing. That isn't the main reason I want to go into the Navy of course. The Navy means putting some other goals aside for a couple years, but not forever. Besides, I don't even know if they'll accept me, but I don't want to give up on applying. I'm going to try a little harder. How I'm going to get into physical shape for it is beyond me, but I'll start today. Should be interesting.

Easter weekend was fun and seeing Bryan all dressed up is something I always look forward to. He looks damn good in a nice pair of slacks, a crisp white shirt and a tie. If I do say so myself. I forgot my camera at home like an airhead but my mom took a picture of us and I'll have to bug her to put email it to me or something.

My Dad became surprisingly angry when I mentioned that we asked my best friend's girlfriend to perform our wedding ceremony. I told them she was a reverend (she isn't really, she just printed out a certificate online). So my Dad was very upset and said he wouldn't attend our wedding ceremony if a woman preacher was the officiator. So I explained she wasn't really a reverend, but that if she could get a license to marry that we would really like her to do it. Well, he was still angry because I guess you can't even have a civil ceremony done by a woman. I don't really know the rules on these things. I KNOW that women can marry people, but I don't know how grey it becomes when my religion is tossed in there. Bryan and I of course want God mentioned in our ceremony somehow, but is it wrong if a woman performs it? I don't believe so, but apparently my father does. I hate to give in on my beliefs, but I'd also hate my father to think our marriage wasn't legitimate and not attend the wedding. I'll probably just compromise if he feels that strongly about it...any ideas or opinions on a religious (christian) ceremony performed by a woman??

4 comments:

Mary said...

I don't see anything wrong with that either, but I could have told you your dad wouldn't approve! Justin agrees with DR too, I guess you are I are just liberal freaks. Whatever.

In some Christian religions, women can perform ceremonies. In the Episcopal church there are women priests (I don't know that's what they call them though). In the COC, that's absolutely out of the question. Looking at it from that standpoint, I can see how your father (and others) that believe strongly in the COC would consider the marriage illegitmate (as far as God is concerned), but that doesn't mean they are right.

I think you need to weigh how much you really want this gal to do the ceremony for you. If it's just a whim, then skip it to keep the peace. If it's really important to you, then try talking to DR some more, but also keep in mind that he's old and stubborn so you probably won't get anywhere with that. I'm pretty sure he feels that strongly about it.

Scott said...

Get Sonny or Tate to do it.

Scott said...

On second thought, forget I mentioned Tate.

Leila said...

Tell Scott to get ordained online and do it himself.